Wound Care Instructions
SUPPLIES: May be purchased at any pharmacy without a prescription.
- Gentle soap (ie Dove, Cetaphil, Vanicream)
- Vaseline or Aquaphor Healing Ointment (No Neosporin)
To speed the healing of your surgical wound and minimize scar formation and infection, follow these instructions:
- Keep wound dry for 24hrs, then start care.
- Remove the bandage; clean the wound area with gentle soap on a Q-tip.
- Dry the wound or biopsy site with a clean Q-tip and apply ointment.
- Cover area with a clean bandage.
- Continue wound care once a day for 1-2 weeks.
Keep in mind, the site may take several additional weeks to heal completely.
Why do we use ointment?
This will help prevent infection and will promote healing with less scar formation than if a dry crust (scab) is allowed to form.
What to expect:
Typically, a narrow circle of redness will develop surrounding the biopsy site. The base of the biopsy site may turn red, yellowish-white, or gray in color.
If you should notice any sign of infection, such as increasing redness, swelling, pain or drainage, please call the office immediately.
Results should be available in 10 days.
If you have not received your results within 2 weeks, please call our office.