Caring for a Sutured Wound
To speed the healing of your surgical wound and minimize scar formation and infection, follow these instructions:
- Keep wound dry and covered for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, remove the bandage and clean wound with gentle soap (i.e. Dove) and water. (Showering is allowed)
- Apply a thin layer of Vaseline or Aquaphor to wound.
- Repeat these steps daily until sutures are removed.
- A bandage may be applied if located in an area of friction
- Avoid hot tubs, swimming pools and bath tubs, but showering is allowed.
- DO NOT use Neosporin, Bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointments.
- Schedule an appointment for suture removal as instructed by your provider.
If you experience increased redness, swelling, pain or drainage at the surgical site, call the office immediately as these could be signs of infection.
Results should be available in 10 days. If you have not received your results within 2 weeks, please call our office.